Friday, September 3, 2010

Mission Aviation and life update

Today is the last day of week two. A lot has happened, and it seems to have flown by (literally too). I have decided to drop being a DC electricity tutor, as well as some of my responsibilities with NIFA. I am still leading up LUMA, and met with the new leadership to brainstorm this past Wednesday. I find we are in a difficult place, but also one with great potential. There are so many things LUMA could do, or ideas with how we run meetings. We don't want LUMA to be just another meeting. We want it to be life changing discipleship. When you say mission aviation, there is immediately thoughts of flying into remote locations, often difficult airstrips and beautiful scenery. I think this is one of the biggest dissolutions for mission aviation. Yes, some areas are like that described, but is that really the important part of your job description? What about the people? What about the culture? The Gospel? Where has God gone in Mission Aviation? Is not it His Mission? We can put on great elaborate programs and build an organization for us in the name of God's work, but is God really in it?

I can build a program and make an organization attractive for people. I can host lots of fun events and organize things people want to do. But again, where is God? A lot of us have been on Vision Trips to intern with a mission aviation organization overseas and have often wondered where the connection was with the people. Working with the people, building relationships. Sure some countries are more dangerous then others, but don't you think if God has called you into being there that you don't need to hole yourself up in a compound with barb wire and guards? I am not saying don't be practical, but maybe we all need a little more faith and trust that God will provide.


Here is an excerpt from a recent e-mail I sent:



We have come a long way since the start of LUMA, and have changed a lot along the way.  Because of this, the focus and direction of LUMA has often appeared unclear. We have put a lot of thought and prayer into where God wants to take us. A big issue that we wanted to avoid was turning LUMA into what we are terming a YAC for aviation students (just fun events). Although fun things are not out of the picture, that is not the main focus of LUMA. When people think of LUMA, they think of bon fires, ice cream, and game nights. We want to change this to discipleship, skill oriented training, Christ centered, Spirit filled, missionary training.

 Our idea is to have people with mission and job/skill/life experiences (aviation and non-aviation) come and speak with us about different topics. We want to get back to what it really means to be a missionary. To learn about things we are not taught in class. This is a huge topic, but smaller topics may include things like raising support while overseas and in the states, learning a language/linguistics, humanitarian work, preaching the gospel, dealing with difficult governments/persecution, dealing with locals/other missionaries, raising a family, etc.

How do we convey our ideas to fellow students? The person you are now in the states is the person you will be overseas. There is so much about another culture that you can't even begin to scratch the surface. There is a lot in our western world view that we discount right away too. IE what are you going to do if you go overseas and find a demonized person? Our faith needs to be planted firmly now! Don't make a program for yourself without God being the central point. Everything revolves around our relationship with our creator. We can do great things on our own, and fly hundreds of hours relief support bringing supplies to needy people (which is greatly needed yes) just be very very careful not to forget the Gospel!

I have been also thinking about my idea of business aviation. I like the idea of supporting myself, and being able to go where traditional missionaries may not be able to go. I was talking with someone who knew someone who is a businessman in missions overseas. He said that it was often hard to distinguish between work and ministry. You would be so tired out from just regular work, that you would not have much time for ministry. Yes, an argument can be made that working in that context is your ministry as a witness to fellow employees. It was just some interesting thoughts. Also, going on the mission field can't be done as a lone ranger. You need the body of Christ supporting you.

Ministry is also hard work. Pouring yourself out for others you can often feel drained/tired/empty. (More on this later).

Psalm 63:
 O God, you are my God, 
       earnestly I seek you; 
       my soul thirsts for you, 
       my body longs for you, 
       in a dry and weary land 
       where there is no water.
 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
       and beheld your power and your glory.
 3 Because your love is better than life,
       my lips will glorify you.
 4 I will praise you as long as I live,
       and in your name I will lift up my hands.

No comments: