Friday, June 17, 2011

3 day Update

Wednesday June 15th
First day at Kingdom Air Corps. I drove the van back after picking up Patrick and Daniel from Anchorage. We arrived at about midnight. No one was awake except for Zack. He was very helpful and had a list of where everyone was supposed to stay. However, no one knew where my cabin was. So I ended up sleeping on the floor of their office- I really didn’t care and could have slept anywhere since I was so tired. The next morning I went to breakfast which starts at 7am. (Lunch is at 12:30 and Dinner at 5:30 I think). Before each meal, we all sign a hymn and then pray. In the morning, we have devotions, and Dwayne King shared this morning. After that, I found the right cabin where I was supposed to be staying and put all my stuff in there. I then helped cut up, move, haul, lift, and burn a ton of logs. (More like 10 tons of logs!) Our burn pile was huge! Thankfully, it was raining on and off so the fire would not spread/kept us cool. I did that pretty much the whole day. I got to meet a lot of cool people so far, I’m just having a hard time keeping their names straight. In other news, I still have a cold that I have been trying to get rid of for quite some time now. Your prayers on this would be greatly appreciated.

At night in Alaska, it isn’t really dark at all which is very hard to get used to!

Thursday June 16th
This morning the group went around and shared a bit about themselves, their background, experience, and what God has been doing in their life. It was cool to hear/get to know everyone. After that, I worked with Dan and Daniel in the hangar working on a super cub all day. We took off both front tundra tires and inspected them, cleaned/re-greased the wheel bearings, inspected the landing gear assembly, inspected the empennage, and worked on fixing several discrepancies. After dinner, a group of us went up to Victory Bible Camp just up the road to attend their chapel for the kids which are at camp now, but for some reason they did not have it that night so we will try to go another night.

Friday June 17th
This morning I got to go flying in a Cessna 150. This was a great experience after not having flown in many many months (other than the sightseeing trip with Roger). I thought I was going to be really rusty, but I was surprised that all my landings were pretty good for not being very familiar with the aircraft. All of them were smooth and I got to even land on a gravel strip and the strip at Kingdom Air Corps. After the flight, the engine is shut down by pulling the mixture control- I pulled this, but it came out right in my hands. The aircraft is pretty old, so it was not a huge surprise, but we got busy trying to fix it. Turned out the cable snapped. When we took the cowling off, we found several other discrepancies that had to be fixed.
I am really enjoying my time here. Everyone is like a big family, working together. Each person has their own set job, but we all come together and form a community of believers. It is really cool to see how God works. One person donated like 200lbs of potatoes (we have been having them at every meal!). We have also been eating a ton of moose! Very tasty! (Some of it came from roadkill too!) Another person just donated a cabin about a mile down the road, and we worked today to try and move it. We will be putting it on a trailer. So many people come up and donate their time to cook, clean, build, and do whatever needs to be done. 

1 comment:

Budding Violinist said...

Wow!! Sounds so fascinating. Definitely praying for your time there to be profitable & for God to continue to work in your life & in your heart. Also praying that you would be strengthened spirit, soul, & body and that you'll feel more at home there as you learn people's names. (I try to master a few at a time or learn things like Ken is the one with the glasses.) :)
~Pearl