So I watched fireproof last Thursday night (Feb 3) with the guys in my apartment. In the movie, they have something called a 40 day challenge. I thought the movie was great and I was in the shower and was thinking about the 40 day challenge. I was also thinking about what to do this summer. One idea, is to stay in Alaska after the cruise (*see below for more details) is done and go to Kingdom Air Corps with Dwayne King. Anyway, in the shower I was thinking about just the idea of spending 40 days on something and the significance of the number. This brought me around to wondering how long it would be from the time our cruise was over to the end of the Bible camp that Kingdom Air Corps holds. I thought to myself, man that would be awesome if it was 40 days and how that would really be a confirmation of what I was supposed to do. So I went to my room and ran the numbers: we are supposed to leave Alaska on June 14th, Bible camp is the 2 middle weeks in July. The day Bible camp ends is July 23th, which is when I would probably be leaving, or the day after. Doing the math, this is 40 days exactly (17 days in June, 23 days in July). The Bible camp that Dwayne holds is up in the wilderness of Alaska for Eskimo kids. I had sent an e-mail to Dwayne King several days before that just asking to get together and talk with him about Alaska. I also had met with Mr. Poelman to ask his advice and talk about some concerns I had. One of the things Mr. Poelman said was that it was ultimately going to be for God to show me one way or the other what to do this summer. So right after I ran the math, I checked my e-mail and received an e-mail from Dwayne King. He wanted me to call him sometime and figure out a time to meet. (We met on 2-8-2010) When I saw that it was 40 days I started laughing, and then right after that I saw Dwayne's e-mail and laughed even more and wondered what the odds were of that.
*Cruise info--- I just wanted to clarify and make sure that you guys know what is going on. Some may have heard about the cruise, and I wanted to make it clear that it was two separate trips. All the support that came in for me ($4,055!!!) is going towards my time at Kingdom Air Corps and NOT paying any part of the cruise. The cruise will get me up to Alaska, but I will just be staying longer once my family leaves. However, I may use some of the money towards my return flight from Alaska.
Here is my Itinerary:
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
So now my trip has started. My 10 days at home between driving up from Texas and then flying out to Seattle have been quite the whirlwind. Leaving and coming back is always weird. Only seeing a good friend for a couple of days during a period of 1.5-2 years or every couple months is tough. I've had to say a lot of goodbyes to friends in Texas and in Pennsylvania over the last month. I was talking with one of my friends about this, and it is kind of turning into how it is with my family's brothers and sisters. My dad may only see his brother 3-4 times a year, and then only for a day for a couple hours. My only consolation for all the goodbyes is that one day we will all be reunited together with Christ in heaven.
Starting any new chapter of life is always hard. I don't know what to expect. Since graduating LeTourneau, I have had many many doubts and uncertainties face me. Graduation should be a joyous event, but for me it was surreal- wonderful and horrible at the same time. I had to say goodbye to so many friends, and missed saying goodbye to others.
The greatest lesson I learned at college is the fact that I know so little. Upon graduating, you may think you know everything one needs to about a certain field- I wish this were the case, but it is not so. I am rusty on so many areas and have forgotten so much material just because I had not been reviewing or using it. With aviation, knowing your stuff is critical; life or death. There is no room for mistakes in maintenance or flying. Lives are at stake. The aviation job market is tough as well. Training is super expensive, and a starting job is only a bit more then minimum wage. I keep asking myself why? Why aviation? Why LETU? Why am I going to Alaska? The missions of Kingdom Air Corps is to give real world, hands on experience as a mission aviation pilot.
I have to keep reminding myself of the story about the 40 days which I first related to you above. I had been thinking about Kingdom Air Corps for a while, knew about the organization, and had always wanted to go to Alaska. Staying in Alaska just made sense, especially since I do not have a job lined up right now.
I am unsure where I will be after Alaska, even unsure exactly what the day to day life looks like in Alaska. I know I will know a lot of LETU people there, but that makes me ask if I am just going along with the crowd or doing what is most comfortable or safe? Everyone who has been says they love it up there, but is this really the best choice for me? Alaska is remote. I keep wondering what if this or what if that...
In the airport before I left, I sat down at a table with two chairs. An identical table/chairs was to my left and right. These tables had two different friends/couples at them. The chair across from me was empty. This symbolically represents one of my biggest fears- rejection/not having a companion. I am not naturally a very outgoing guy. Is serving God as a single person what God has called me to? Would I be willing to follow God if he called me to lonely, desolate, depressing situations just to make his name known? Would I still follow God if I did not have any friends or normal comforts of the western world?
If God has really called me to live a life that is bringing the gospel to people who have never heard, then I think I will find myself in many of those situations just described. Whole countries hate my God and hate me as a result. I need to be willing to give up everything in order to follow Christ. No matter what happens, only Christ matters.
I am reminded of Romans 8:
"31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?36 As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. "
The funny thing is, over the course of just a couple days, I was called a missionary by separate people on about 2-3 different accounts. Back in the day, missionaries went out on boats and traveled for months if not years just to reach people. The missionary's families in this time would hold a funeral service, not expecting to ever see this person who was leaving ever again. Many died and withstood great pain and hardship without ever seeing any fruit of their work; but they were faithful to the end!
Please pray that I can remain faithful to what God has called me. Pray against spiritual attacks on my life as I face this new chapter in my life. Pray for God's peace and guidance. Pray against depression, loneliness, and fear.
I love you guys!
Ken
No comments:
Post a Comment