Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Catching up

Wow, I am always amazed at how time can fly. Let me try to catch you up on what has happened since the end of last semester to the middle of summer now. Finals went well, and I started the maintenance summer school lab makeup the day after my last final. There were a bunch of us who are on the flight team, and we had to leave for a full week for the national competition up in Terre Haute Indiana. The summer school lab/classes was very interesting, powerplant (engine) troubleshooting, and assembly and rigging. The flight competition also went well. To see a link of how we placed go here: http://www.letu.edu/opencms/opencms/news/2010/LETU_Flight_Team_Wins_American_Airlines_Safety_Award_at_Competition.html  We had a lot of top 20 finishes, which is tough at the national level. Through a series of fluke events, AndrĂ© Ziolkowski and I won third place again in the message drop event (two years prior we got the same spot). For more on the flight team go to http://www.letu.edu/_Academics/Aero-Science/NIFA/

From summer classes, I followed Rachel Ballou (both of us had 1 car) up to Virginia to Eastern Mennonite University (EMU). This was about a 17 hour car trip. We stopped in Tenn to sleep for the night. Once we got to EMU I got to see my good friend Daniel who lives nearby. The next morning I traveled another 5 hours up to Pennsylvania to spend a week with my family. From there I went back down to VA to work at Dynamic Aviation http://www.dynamicaviation.com/ as a summer maintenance intern. I am working currently on polishing a DC-3 for the Oshkosh air show coming up at the end of the month.

I am also in the process of taking an online Physics class/lab with Ocean County College in NJ. The class is going well, and will end August 3rd. Over the 4th of July weekend I went back up to PA to see some old friends and spend time with  my family. We went to a ski mountain overlook to watch fireworks over the lake- it was an awesome view! I also took a trip down to Philly and back to pick up Sydney, Katrina's roommate. This was cool, because now I have seen EMU, PBU, and Eastern- three universities where different friends go to.

A couple random thoughts to think about. We sleep about 30% of the day away, we work about 40% of the day (including travel time/time it takes up). Taxes take up 30% of our money. Tithing is only 10% of what you make, which is less then what the government wants. Ever think about giving 10% of your time to God too? Above and beyond prayer/reading the Bible or other good books. 10% of 24 hours is 2 hrs 20 min. What if we even gave God 5% of our time- thats only an hour 10 minutes. Think of how much an impact we could make in our community.

No comments: